Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Just Saw Something Cool

       I have a view of the dumpster in the alley behind my building from the window of my third floor apartment. Today, I saw a man walk past the dumpster in the pouring rain, stop, and take out his cell phone camera. He stood there for several minutes photographing the dumpster. At first it was hard to tell from my window why he had been moved by this seemingly bleak sight, but the wind changed and a star-shaped mylar balloon with "Happy Birthday!" written on it bobbed into sight. Someone had thrown it away before it could even lose it's helium. The sight of it sitting there in the dumpster, blowing in the wind and being pelted by the rain was apparently too much for him to ignore.
     I like this guy's style. It's good to look for beauty in the mundane. Strange as it seems, this man was enriched in some way by his interaction with the balloon in that dumpster. He allowed himself to be enthralled by something simple. He had an open mind. And the best part of it all? That moment of happiness, or depth, or whatever it was didn't cost him a Nickel.

No comments:

Post a Comment